Raising ghosts at Hadrian's Wall


I’m hoping to see the ghost of Emperor Hadrian tonight. He’s been dead for nearly two thousand years, but in the enchanted mists anything is possible. That’s part of the fun of being a Muse – I can travel through time and space, while my author stays at home waiting for me to report back and tell her what I saw.

So where am I going? If you live anywhere near Northumberland I expect you’ve already guessed, because the great wall Hadrian built across Britain to mark the northern boundary of the Roman Empire is going to be illuminated by fire tonight for the first time since Roman soldiers trod its stones. There’s going to be a torchlit procession in Carlisle and another event at Segundum Fort. Although the wall is mostly in ruins now, you can still see the foundations of the watchtowers and fortresses the Romans built to keep out the wild northern tribes… if you go, be sure to keep an eye out for unicorns, too, because I plan to stable myself in one of the towers to spy on things.

My author is especially interested in my report since the book she’s writing at the moment includes a magical battle against the forces of darkness at the Wall… but before you get too excited, it’s book 2 of her new series about King Arthur's daughter Rhianna Pendragon, so I’m afraid you’ll have to be a bit patient as this series is still looking for a publisher – mostly because my author is too busy working on the books to send out any more proposals at the moment! (She'll hate me for this, but any editors out there who might be interested, email Katherine and let her know you'd like to see it. If it's left up to her, she might never get around to sending it to you.)

Right, I’m off. If the wild Scottish tribes don't get me, I'll be back soon.