Great Horse Stories - poem by Caspia


CASPIA
chestnut filly
Rider: Prince Ochus

I am Caspia, named after the sea
where they found me orphaned and small.
They gave me to Aura, who had milk for her lost foal –
a curse on Alexander by the Persian god, they said.
So that makes me a blessing, I guess.

I am Caspia, friend of Prince Ochus,
who lost his mother just like me.
Together we crossed mountains, high and cold,
breathing ice while men and horses died
And Alexander looked for the edge of the world.

I am Caspia, joker of the herd.
Wearing elephant skin, the other horses took fright
so I lay in the mud and made everyone laugh.
Alexander did not fear elephants, they said.
The Indians would die when they battled us.

I am Caspia, who fought at the Indus,
where Bucephalas fell and did not get up.
I smelled elephants so I lay in the mud
but forgot Prince Ochus, whose spirit I crushed.
The day was lost and the rain never stopped.

I am Caspia. I only tried my best.
They discharged me from the army and let me rest.
I saw Bucephalas heal and talk to a ghost,
but Alexander has gone into legend at last
and we who are left graze the greenest grass.

***
I've given Caspia the last word. But you can still read Bucephalas' story of Alexander the Great "I am the Great Horse" as an ebook, now available from: